Saturday, December 12, 2009

Saturday 12 December


Below is a photograph of Daniel (one of the playworkers) taken about 6 years ago with one of the boys at the playground.

I love this photograph.

I re-took the photograph today with the same two people. The boy in the photograph is now a young man, who is a volunteer at Charlie Chaplin.



At the staff meeting today, I told the staff that next saturday would be the last day of this residency - later I was asked what I would do now on Saturdays, I said I wasn't sure, but I would now be able to go out on Friday nights !

I was given answers from Brendan - one of the playworkers - to my question "What is play?"

Play is trying stuff out.
Play is testing and pushing it.
Play is courting danger then going too far.
Play is having fun but always striving to win.
Play is seeing how fast you can run.
Playing is jumping from height and midnight snacks.
Play is climbing to the bendy branches at the top of a tree and watching my Gran be scared for me.
Play is also technic lego.


Work ...


and play ...



Playground Words ...

Ester, are you doing the lunch ?

Oh, I'm afraid of it !

Who's in my team? No one's in my team!

GOALKEEPER!

Daniel!

She's a girl!

That's sexist!

Still no goal

I've broken my shoe!

Do you want to have a bike?

You can wash it, I'm not washing it though

Let's go inside, and get a drink

You're jamming, put it on the top


Some new additions to the blackboard wall . . .



SARAH, YOUR BOYFRIEND IS HERE!
one boy shouts teasing another about liking a girl who has just arrived at the playground.


Bev, the manager at Charlie Chaplin, told me a memory she recently had of when she was about 12 years old. She was playing with her friends where a concrete tunnel was being constructed. They entered the tunnel, till they could not see the light from wither end of the tunnel, and Bev wanted to turn back as she felt claustrophobic, and frightened - but I wanted to go forward with my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment