Saturday, November 7, 2009

Saturday 7 November 2009



I distribute photographs of some of my artworks, each on a yellow stick, around the playground. Children find these and bring them to me. They ask what they are about, and then hide them for others to find, though this also involves them running around wildly with the sticks.

“I want my Dad back” a girl says when I tell her about my work I WANT, and I ask her what she wants.



Later, a girl tells me she has put her own drawing on a stick, and asks me to find it. We walk around the playground. I ask her to tell me when I am getting ‘hotter’ or ‘colder’. We eventually end up under a tree where she says it is hidden. I cannot find it. It is buried she said. I give her my notebook and she draws me.


The same girl says she wants to write a poem, and takes my book away:

Sea side

Me side

Wake in the

Mean side


I am asked my name “You look more like a Kevin” says a boy, also called Daniel.


“I’m sad because my friend is not here.”


A boys’ jeans become caught in the chain of the bike to release himself he has to push the bike forward very, very slowly.


Sitting under a tree, my hat gets decorated by several children using leaves. I don’t know how this happened.


During the staff meeting at the beginning of the day, meticulous planning takes place to ensure children do not leave their possessions at the playground at the end of the day. All the free and inventive play that takes place at the playground is underpinned by health and safety, and care by trained professionals.


Football Words

OVER HERE !

WHAT A SAVE !

FOUL !

NO !

YES !

NO !

GOAL !

No comments:

Post a Comment